MSc Mathematics Admissions - 2018
Applications are invited for admission to MSc in Mathematics Programme. At present this course is available at the University’s Belur Main Campus.
BSc(Hons) in Mathematics/Physics/Statistics or BMath/BStat/BE/BTech to be completed by the end of the academic year in which the student appears for the examination. Students who have secured 60% or more (in honours subjects) till the end of their penultimate year of undergraduate studies may appear for the written examination. There is a relaxation of 5% for SC/ST candidates.
The entrance examination will be held at the Belur Main campus of the University.
Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda Educational and Research InstituteBelur Main Campus (just at the entrance of Belur Math),PO Belur Math, Howrah 711202, West Bengal
Syllabus for Entrance Examination: Undergraduate level Real Analysis, Abstract Algebra, Linear Algebra, Vector Calculus.
- Principles of Mathematical Analysis, W. Rudin, TMH
- Mathematical Analysis, T. M. Apostol, Narosa
- Real Analysis, S. K. Mapa
- Topics in Algebra, I. N. Herstein, J. Wiley
- Abstract Algebra, D. S. Dummitt and R. M. Foote, J. Wiley
- Linear Algebra, K. Hoffman and R. Kunze, PHI
- Higher Algebra, S. K. Mapa
Submission of Application Forms
Date for publishing the results for entrance exam, and interview dates for those who qualify will be announced on the day of examination.
Fees can be paid either by
- Hostel admission fees (one time): Rs 500/-
- Per month Hostel accommodation fee: Rs 500/-
- Hostel Deposit (one time, refundable) – Rs 5000/-
- Monthly meal charges (variable as per the mess system) will be informed during admission.
We admit students for our PhD programme every year. Students are admitted on the basis of an interview held usually in early July each year.
MSc in Mathematics. Students who have secured 60% or more till the end of their penultimate year of masters' level studies may appear.
Students should also have qualified at one of the following national level written examinations:
- National Board of Higher Mathematics (NBHM)
- CSIR-NET Junior Research Fellowship
Exceptional students from other disciplines and/or exceptional undergraduates in Mathematics may also be considered, exclusively at the discretion of the Department faculty.
Issue of Application Form
Application forms may be downloaded or collected personally during office hours from the Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda Educational and Research Institute Office.
Submission of Application Form
Application forms, along with necessary certificates, can be submitted on or before 10th of June either by post or in person during office hours at the Institute office, together with a fee of Rs.300/- by cash (in person) or demand draft in favour of 'Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda Educational and Research Institute, Howrah'.